Sunday, April 10, 2011

Regional 1st stage: Resume

The 1st stage of the 2011 Regional was held on Monte Verde, Ribeira Grande on last Saturday.

I arrived at the beach around 9:30am and it was clean conditions, off-shore with some perfect right handers, big barrels and big lips. I had a cool free surf session before my heat and I felt pretty good and a confident on my surf wich was good.

My first heat (quarter-finals) was ok, I ended up in 1st place with some advantage from the other guys in my heat. My second heat (semi-finals) was ok too, I ended up again in 1st place. Then i moved to the finals along with Pedro Correia, Sérgio Rego and Daniel Costa. The waves were pretty bad because of the hight tide, with waves around 1ft (30cm +-), off shore and pretty inconssistent. Pedro ended up winning with a pretty good 1st wave, actually the best wave of the final. I ended up in 2nd place, 3rd place Sérgio Rego and 4th place Daniel Costa. It was a cool start and the next time I really wanna win. This is my 4th time consecutive I end up in 2nd place in a Regional.

Here are some photos by Carlos Duarte, from the free surf session and my first heat of the comp:








More photos to come...

Photos Source: Wave Riders Açores

No comments: